The important thing to remember is that it is the journey that counts, not the destination..

"Most of our lives are a series of images, they pass us by like towns on a highway. But sometimes a moment stuns us as it happens and we know that this instant is more than a fleeting image. We know that this moment, every part of it, will live on forever."-Lucas Eugene Scott [One Tree Hill, Season Three]

My posts will be about life, influenced by all the moments and memories that inspire, challenge and touch me..

Monday, December 12, 2011

Making your Mark...

For the past two years I have returned to my old year 7-10 high school as a mentor for the current students. Mainly I have done this through attending the Year 10 Retreat. Whilst it is a Catholic school and God and the Bible are all included in the teachings or the activities at this three day Retreat, the emphasis is on focusing on the way that the decisions and choices we make will actually influence not only the person we become but also shape how other people see us.

The three days that make up this Retreat can be really special. You see some kids come out of their shell, or truly let others see them for who they are, some kids learn to step outside of the label or image they have branded themselves with (or maybe the one that they were branded with) at school. They accept challenges, try new things, talk to different people- which takes many of them out of their comfort zone.

Through activities, questions, listening to songs or watching a movie and then having to think about the meaning behind it, hearing volunteers or staff talk about relationships in their life or struggles they have overcome the kids are encouraged to think about the choices they make and the ramifications they have for their own lives as well as everyone they are connected to.

One of my favourite activities that we do is called "Make your Mark", we tape a line on the floor and the kids pick one person from their small group to go up and whilst keeping their toes behind the line put a piece of paper as far as they can without falling over or touching the floor with more than one hand. Whilst its fun, the idea is that everyone should have the chance to make their mark on the world. To be appreciated and remembered. Following this we then encourage each of them over the course of the three days to put their own mark on the retreat cloth-something they could be remembered by, something they learnt or something they will take with them and use in the future.

Today on my way home from work, I was thinking about retreat and how I cannot wait to go again next year, when the perfect song came on the radio. The song is called "I Was Here" written and performed by Beyonce. The song is exactly what we hope every retreatant (staff, volunteers/mentors, students) will get out of life. Making my mark is so important to me, I want to have meant something but to also have helped someone make theirs. As Beyonce sings "I will leave my mark so everyone will know I was here...I want to say I lived each day, until I died. I know that I had something in, somebody's life. The hearts I have touched, will be the proof that I leave. That I made a difference, and this world will see- I was here...I lived, I loved, I was here..."

My leaving message for you all is, make an impact on the world and most importantly make choices that allow you to be the person you want to be. This is how you will leave your mark.

K, Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment