The important thing to remember is that it is the journey that counts, not the destination..

"Most of our lives are a series of images, they pass us by like towns on a highway. But sometimes a moment stuns us as it happens and we know that this instant is more than a fleeting image. We know that this moment, every part of it, will live on forever."-Lucas Eugene Scott [One Tree Hill, Season Three]

My posts will be about life, influenced by all the moments and memories that inspire, challenge and touch me..

Monday, November 28, 2011

It's all about that connection...



It can be with family and with friends, but what often surprises me is the connection you can feel with people you have never met before and may never meet again. I think a great example of this is when you are watching your favourite band, and they sing a song that seems to define the moment you are standing in. And then you realise five, one hundred, a thousand people are all involved in this moment, with you, and each may be applying a certain significance to their own life.
Music is so incredibly important to me, I have had a moment like this where it felt like time slowed, the music swallowed me whole and the song and what that moment meant changed me. I was at the final Powderfinger concert to be played in Newcastle and they sang their song 'These Days' as the final song. It was so incredibly moving, this band have been around for as many years as I have been alive.
Their music is so easily relatable, i love these lyrics in particular from These Days: "This life well it's slipping right through my hands, these days turned out nothing like I had planned. Control well it's slipping right through my hands, these days turned out nothing like I had planned. Soon enough it comes, soon enough it comes, to tie us down..."       Hearing these lyrics, watching the emotions playing across people's faces and processing the thoughts in my own mind was so powerful in that moment. Our time here is short, we don't have total control over our lives. We all have responsibility and I think these lyrics reinforce how important it is to take our freedom and make the most of it while we can, which for me includes spending it with people who make my life better just by being in it.

I have some amazing people in my life. A brother who is 7years younger but it feels like we are twins, I am so inspired by him and the wonderful person he is. My sister, my mother and father are so amazingly strong and love life. I have a sisterhood-made up of myself and three of the girls I went to uni with. We meet up for dinners and discuss work, life and everything in between. It doesn't matter how often we see each other, the support, respect and connection is there everytime. To the people who this year have been there when I really needed it, who I haven't had to chase down to spend time with- thankyou to four or five of you I really appreciate it.

We all feel it. Whether someone admits it or not. One of the most (if not the most) important aspects of the life of a human is the connection we have with others. It validates, motivates, supports and challenges our very existence and who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment